29 Nov Creative Me – Simon Gray
Under the Oak Tree is…
A meeting place for creative folk. Be inspired by their stories – and shelfies.
He joins us Under the Oak Tree to talk inspiration and night-time nudity…
2. Describe your desk or workspace?
You’ve seen the devastating pictures of Caribbean Islands hit by Hurricane Irma…
3. What’s the soundtrack to your work?
Tap, tap, tappity, tap tap…
4. Who or what inspires you?
My 4-year-old son learning to ride his bike without stabilisers. He had no fear, no concern for what the future might hold. He simply had absolute belief that the hand guiding him – mine – would keep him safe. With belief like that we can achieve anything.
5. What do you need to create?
Support and understanding from those who love me, which I most importantly receive from my beautiful wife.
6. What time of day does your brain come alive?
Whenever it’s stimulated and that can be at any time – although more often would be really good!
7. What advice would you give to someone wanting to do what you do?
Writing is a cathartic, absorbing and wonderful experience, which should be done for that reason alone. Do not write to carve a career out of it or earn a fortune because sadly that’s when it starts to lose its shine. If you’re hell bent on making it then write two books first because everyone has a book in them, very few have two.
8. What do you do when you lose sight of your inspiration?
Get moody, do some serious exercise and listen to my wife as she tells me to appreciate all I have.
9. Tell us one thing about yourself that no one would guess?
I sleep naked.
10. What’s next for you?
Finishing the book that I am currently writing and fixing my bedroom blinds. Not necessarily in that order.